Toucan Flock
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ART] Getting Rid Of The White Background on a Lineart *Effectively* (By Using Masks) [Harrie]

2 posters

Go down

[ART] Getting Rid Of The White Background on a Lineart *Effectively* (By Using Masks) [Harrie] Empty [ART] Getting Rid Of The White Background on a Lineart *Effectively* (By Using Masks) [Harrie]

Post by Lonin Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:51 am

Created by Harrie

This tutorial works in the Photoshop Creative Suite series and in the GIMP.
It does not work in Photoshop Elements, so if you use Elements just transfer your lines to Elements after using GIMP c:

If you use a mac, in the shortcuts, replace ctrl with command.

So, you like make your lines traditionally. This gives you the annoying problem of a white background on your lines, right?

Now we all know you can use multiply.

But great as that method is, you can't easily recolour the lines. It's possible, but it's so very very difficult.

So why do it the hard way?

This may look a wee bit long winded, but it's not really. And once you've done it a few times, it'll be eeeasy! Very Happy

Now, for the sake of this tutorial, I am using a free lineart.
It is from here: http://freakzter.deviantart.com/art/STOCK-African-Elephant-98791577

(Yes I could have just got the full res, but I'm trying to show that you can keep the Anti-Alias! Very Happy)

You should use your own linearts for your site, otherwise you'll just have a boring and unoriginal site.

Which is why I've made this tut, because it allows you to draw your lines by hand if you have no tablet, and colouring and shading is pretty simple with a mouse.

So people will have no reason to use the 'I use a mouse' excuse!

1. Scan/take a photo of your lines.

If you take a photo, don't use a webcam. You'll have a bad quality photo.
An actual camera will do the trick much better.
Take it in good light conditions, and hold the camera straight down. You don't want to distort the lines by holding it at an angle.

But to be honest, you want to get a scanner really.

Open up GIMP/Photoshop

If you can't afford PS, then get GIMP. It's free, and you can get it here: http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Then open up your lines.

2. On Photoshop, double click the background layer and click OK

You want to be able to put layers underneath it in a minute c:

Here is my screen at the moment:

[ART] Getting Rid Of The White Background on a Lineart *Effectively* (By Using Masks) [Harrie] Stepone

3. Now, apply a layer mask

'Holy what Harriet?'

Did you think I wouldn't tell you how?

On Photoshop, there should be a little icon that looks like this in your layers tab: insertmaskicon

Alternatively, you could go to Layers, Apply Mask, Reveal All

On GIMP, go to Layers, Masks, Create Layer Mask, then click Add

Your layer should now look somewhat like this:

[ART] Getting Rid Of The White Background on a Lineart *Effectively* (By Using Masks) [Harrie] Layericons-1

The box on the left is what we'll call the 'layer box', and the one on the right will be called the 'mask box'

4. Invert the colour of your lines

Note: Be sure to click your layer box.

On Photoshop, press ctrl+I.

On GIMP, Go to Colours, Invert

It'll now look like this (And don't worry, I'm not crazy!):

[ART] Getting Rid Of The White Background on a Lineart *Effectively* (By Using Masks) [Harrie] Invertedlines

5. Copy your lines

And then click on the mask box while holding alt

Your canvas should look white, this is good.

6. Paste your lines

And click back on the layer box.

(on GIMP alt click the mask box)

7. Fill the layer with black

Press D to reset your colours.

On photoshop, press alt+backspace

On GIMP, go to Edit, Fill with forground colour

8. Press Ctrl+A, then Ctrl+Shift+C

And paste.

(On GIMP, make a new layer first)

9. Delete the layer with the mask, and do whatever you want with your lines! Very Happy

If you lock the transparency (click the checkered square on your layers tab) you can colour your lines! 8D

[ART] Getting Rid Of The White Background on a Lineart *Effectively* (By Using Masks) [Harrie] Elephant

(green marks show that you can recolour and stuff)
Lonin
Lonin
Community Advisor
Community Advisor

Beak Points : 4295
Location : Lonin is a Lonin, therefore lives in a cave >;3 Hehehe. - That's cool :D

Back to top Go down

[ART] Getting Rid Of The White Background on a Lineart *Effectively* (By Using Masks) [Harrie] Empty Re: [ART] Getting Rid Of The White Background on a Lineart *Effectively* (By Using Masks) [Harrie]

Post by Harrie Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:54 am

I made a video version of this too, which should make things a little clearer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW9AQi3C5og
Harrie
Harrie

Beak Points : 4104

Back to top Go down